Friday, May 9, 2014

How to Crochet by Sara Delaney



This book is a standout in the crowd of “how to crochet” books.  Even if you already have several books, I’m willing to bet they do not have illustrations as clear as those in Delaney’s book. Sketches use contrast to show individual stitches and rows clearly.  Learning to tell front from back (not always easy in crochet) and seeing turning chains and joining rounds so clearly pictured with nice, large sketches really enhances understanding of the “why” of crochet.  I’ve been crocheting for about 30 years and still learned from this book.

As a teacher, I also like her idea of letting beginners start by crocheting into a piece of tulle with large holes instead of crocheting into a chain at first.  I use a similar concept when teaching children to knit--I cast on and knit a few rows, giving them something to hang on to while they learn to knit rows.  Once they are able to make rows, I teach them to cast on.  Sometimes beginning in the middle can give students the confidence they need; much like I learned to bake a cake from a boxed mix before I made one from scratch.

Get this book if you crochet and especially if you teach.  I received an advance copy for review through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment