Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Hawaiian Quilts


I started my first quilt around 1976, when everyone wanted to get in touch with our founding mothers in celebration of the bicentennial of American independence.  It was a basic trip-around-the-world design made of little squares.    As I read about the craft of quilting, I learned that Hawaiian women took the quilting of the missionaries to their islands and created a new way of quilting--one consistent with the gorgeous vegetation surrounding them.

Judith Sandstrom has authored a beautiful book with plenty of photographs.  Even if you don't want to make one of these exquisite designs, you may enjoy the photographs and use this as a coffee table book.  The book debuts June 28.  I was blessed to see an advance e-copy via NetGalley.


KeepsakeQuilting

No comments:

Post a Comment