Monday, May 9, 2016

Potions Master Scarf: Free Pattern

See this project on Ravelry



In the movie version of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" we see Professor Snape bundled up for a Quidditch match.  He's dressed in black, of course, but I found his ribbed scarf actually handsome.  I searched my stitch libraries for something more exciting than my usual 1x1 or 2x2 ribbing.  I wanted the look of Shaker stitch, but without the yarn-overs and other maneuvers.  Enter Katharina Buss' Big Book of Knitting  and the Fake Shaker Stitch--which I affectionately christened "Faker Stitch."  Done in Lion Brand's "Heartland" worsted, I got a black scarf with a heathery tone rather than a flat black and a cushiony soft texture.


Easy Directions for Potions Master Scarf

Cast on 53 stitches (increase or decrease by multiples of 4 stitches) using whatever needles you like for worsted-weight yarn.  I used U.S. size 7 and two skeins of Lion Brand Heartland.

Row 1 (right side) P1, *K3, P1* repeating ** to last 4 stitches, K3, P1.
Row2 (wrong side) P1, K1, P1, *K3, P1* repeating ** to last 2 stitches, K1, P1.

Continue to desired length. (Mine is about 4 feet long, plus fringe.) For fringe, I cut 12-inch lengths and knotted 10 strands together at even intervals, 13 tassels per end.

You may also buy this scarf on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment