Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Blue Variant: On the Needles Now


In color theory, value is the term for the lightness or darkness of a color.  Consider a black and white photo of a Dr. Who scarf.  From that photo you could make a chart giving numbers from 1 to 7, lightest to darkest, then make a monochromatic scarf in any hue.

Check out Tara Wheeler's Blue Variant.  These are the instructions I'm following, based on the Season 13 scarf.

One challenge I found was really determining the lightness or darkness of a color.  Is charcoal grey darker or lighter than navy?  Too cheap to buy a value filter in the quilting department of a craft store, I tried the following scientific method of determining value:

Me: April, when I pull these two skeins from behind my back I want you to quickly tell me which one is darker.  Don't think or look at color, just darkness, OK? Go! (shows daughter yarn)

April: (Pauses to think, despite being told not to, because that's the way everyone in our family is) This is really hard.  They both look equally dark.

Me: (sigh) That's exactly what I thought.


I finally just decided navy was darker and committed to that decision by casting on with navy as my #7 (darkest) yarn.

I will post progress later.

No comments:

Post a Comment